May 30, 2016

PISA, ITALY

A small town in the Tuscany region of Italy that holds a huge name thanks to it's iconic "Leaning Tower". 
In my humble opinion, there's not that much to see in Pisa (compared to other cities I've been in that country), a day or two should be more than enough. 
There are great options of transportation to Pisa from most of the Italian cities, you can drive, take a tour, a train... I opted for taking the express train and I loved it. The ride was very smooth, they have power plugs on every seat, complimentary snacks and clean bathroom.
Leaning Tower of Pisa
From the train station to "Piazza dei Miracoli" (formerly known as "Piazza del Duomo"), it's just about a 10 minute walk. The Leaning Tower can been seen from quite a distance, it is indeed magnificent (I expected it to have a deeper angle though). It is possible to go up the Tower but, you must leave your personal items at the locker in their office and go through a metal detector. My advice is, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR WATER! There is no elevator and the tower is very high, most likely you will be very thirsty and exhausted by the time you reach the top. The views are worth it and you can stay up there for as long as you want. 
The square is also home to four great religious buildings: the "Pisa Cathedral", the "Pisa Baptistry", the "Campanile" and the "Camposanto Monumentale". They are all worth visiting, specially the Cathedral and the Campenile. 
Pisa has many beautiful churches that are a great option for those who love architecture.
Piazza dei Miracoli
To me, the highlights of the city are all gathered in Piazza dei Miracoli. It's an amazing place to sit on the grass and have a picnic or just hang out surrounded by all that history. 
I'm pretty sure NO ONE will resist taking some pretty funny pictures with the Tower. If you are wondering if Pisa is on my "WORTH VISITING AGAIN" list, unfortunately NO. I think the city is gorgeous but once was enough for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment